The most popular lunch dessert & most requested recipe at the beginning of this season has been the classic & humble Clafoutis.
Clafoutis is a sweet batter mix that is baked filled with unstoned cherries. The stones are left in because they give the batter a slight almond flavour during baking.
Clafoutis comes from the Limousin just north of our crousing route & its popularity spread throughout France during 19th century. The name comes from the Occitan word clafotis meaning to fill, as in a batter filled with cherries, which describes the dish perfectly.
These days clafoutis are filled with lots of different fruits such as apricots, apples, pears & nectarines. However, when filled with anything other than cherries it should be called a flaugnarde, a similar dish from the Limousin & Perigord.
- Flour, 100 grams
- Eggs, 3 + 1 yolk
- Milk, 160 ml
- Cream, 160 ml
- Caster sugar, 90 grams
- Lemon zested, 1
- Salt, pinch
- Butter, melted, 70 grams
- Cherries, with or without stones (pits), 600 grams
- Using a 24-28 cm baking dish or cake tin, either line with baking parchment or in a baking dish brush with butter & coat with sugar as you would a soufflé.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 C, 350 F, gas 4
- Put the flour, lemon zest & sugar in a mixing bowl. In a jug, mix all the wet ingredients then add this to the flour mixture to create a smooth batter.
- Finally, fold the cherries into the batter & pour into the prepared baking dish & bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, cool just slightly & sprinkle with caster sugar,
- Serve with a warm crème anglaise, pouring cream, or crème fraîche.
Rosa's charming accommodation for eight guests features two double and two twin-bedded staterooms, all with private ensuite bathrooms, and a saloon that gives direct access onto the spacious sundeck. A cruise on Hotel Barge Rosa is the ideal way to explore this beautiful, pastoral region of Southwest France.
Rosa has two routes for cruising the Gascony/Bordeaux area:
- Agen to Montauban (view itinerary): from March 29 through August 22, 2015
- Castet-en-Dorthe to Boé (view itinerary): from August 23 through October 31, 2015
See if Rosa has any special offers/discounts available: CLICK HERE
Enjoy yourself this summer with a cruise aboard Rosa!
View Rosa's online brochure
Visit our website for more info on our barges and barging: www.BargeCharters.com