Chef Sylvain Moretto from luxury hotel barge, Enchanté, shares his popular recipe for mini apple tarte tatins – a twist on a French culinary classic.
- 8 individual tart moulds
- Round pastry cutter the same size as the moulds
- Rolling pin
- Metal baking tray
- 150g Plain flour
- 75g Softened butter
- 30g White granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Water
- 1 Egg yolk
- By hand or using a mixer, mix the butter and sugar.
- Add flour and combine.
- Add the egg yolk, then water, and mix.
- When dough is smooth and malleable, gently flatten, wrap in clingwrap.
- Refrigerate while you prepare the apples.
- 6 Golden apples
- 200g Butter
- 200g White granulated sugar
- Preheat oven 200°C/400°F.
- Peel apples, cut in half, core, then quarter.
- Cube the butter.
- Put butter in a large pan, pour all the sugar on top and heat.
- Once it starts to caramelize, whisk continuously.
- Be careful, caramel can burn quickly. If you need to stop the heat quickly, place the pan into a basin of cold water for 30 seconds (no longer otherwise it will harden).
- Divide the caramel mixture equally into 8 tart moulds.
- Place 3 apple quarters into each mould, on top of the caramel.
- Wrap aluminium foil around each individual tart and place on baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven.
- Take out tray and put aside to slightly cool.
- Take the pastry and roll out to 4-5mm thick and cut out 8 circles the same size as the tart moulds.
- Take off the aluminium covers from each mould and tip out the juice and discard.
- Place a pastry circle on top of each mould.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Take out tray and turn each mould upside down onto serving plates.
- Serve warm, with vanilla ice-cream or double cream with cinnamon.
Try Chef Sylvain’s mini apple tarte tatins recipe at home and let us know what you think! This tasty recipe is an example of the fine cuisine you can experience aboard one of our luxury barge cruises.
Enchanté moored in Le Somail
- Route: Canal du Midi between Sallèles d'Aude and Trèbes
- Up to 8 guests
- Charters and Cabin cruises
- Itineraries: Standard classic, Culinary, Family, Golf, Wine
- Learn More: Online Brochure