Combine a 4-night cruise aboard the luxury crewed hotel barge EMMA on the Canal du Midi in the south of France and 3 nights in a luxurious Languedocian farmhouse nestling in the vineyards.
For the first portion (Saturday afternoon through Wednesday morning), guests will be cruising along the Canal du Midi aboard the luxury crewed hotel barge “Emma” in the company of husband and wife team Liz and René Jacquot, ably assisted by their friendly crew of Rosie and Annette. This will then be followed by 3 days (Wednesday afternoon through Saturday morning) with husband and wife team Peter and Sally Shaw, in their beautiful home, “Domaine La Véronique”, set in the rolling vineyards and olive groves of Puisserguier.
Guests will receive a unique experience, with wonderful food and wine, combining the authenticity of France without sacrificing any creature comforts. You can be assured that you will be looked after by a team of professionals with 20 years' experience dedicated to providing you with the vacation of a lifetime.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Pick up on Saturday afternoon from nearest train or airport, and drop off the following Saturday morning
- Accommodation for 7 nights with gourmet meals, excellent wines and an open bar
- Guided excursions to discover the history and life of the Languedoc with English/French speaking guides
- Use of bicycles on the barge
- Use of the swimming pool at La Véronique. And route maps for walking
A FEW EXCURSION HIGHLIGHTS
- Narbonne: steeped in Roman history, the Via Domitia and underground tunnels; the12th Century Cathedral; and not forgetting its covered daily market, renowned for its fresh Mediterranean produce.
- Minerve: with its pre-historic and Cathar history, in its breath-taking location in the gorges of the Cesse and Brian surrounded by the garrigue smelling of wild rosemary and thyme, buzzing with honey bees.
- Pezenas: a trade fair center from Medieval times and an important cultural center from the 16th century, with its history of Molière, wonderful architecture and doorways, makes a stunning visit. Shopper’s delight!
- Carcassonne: La Cité, the largest and best preserved medieval town in Europe, with its huge ramparts, amazing towers, and wonderful castle. It’s a fairytale village!!
UNIQUE POINTS OF THE TRIP
- Eight days / Seven nights – Saturday to Saturday
- Two different chefs preparing gourmet regional food
- Two spectacular settings
- Possible optional extras:
- Cooking workshops with Peter Shaw at La Véronique, as an alternative to (or in combination with) excursions
- Golf at the nearby St Thomas golf club in Beziers
- Horse riding at Puisserguier
- Canoeing/ kayaking on the River Orb
- Additional nights at Domaine La Véronique can be negotiated
PRICES: 7 nights
Accommodation is based on double occupancy. All bedrooms have en-suite bathrooms.
- 6 guests: $26,000
- 4 guests: $24,000
FRENCH BARGE EMMA
EMMA is fully air conditioned and also has central heating, if needed. There are three guest cabins; one has a queen bed, while the other two can be configured as either queens or twins. Beautiful handmade Irish quilts from Oonagh Morisson add that extra touch of luxury. Each guest cabin has its own private, ensuite bathroom with sink, toilet and a normal sized shower with sliding doors. The interior is bright and spacious with beautiful arched double glazed windows which give you a good view of the outside countryside whilst cruising. The French oak furniture has been hand made by a master craftsman and the whole effect is warm and inviting.
EMMA has a spacious upper deck (385 square feet) with tables, chairs, and loungers. Shade from the sun, too, if you want it. This is a marvelous vantage point to see the wonderful countryside and a great place to enjoy cocktails before dinner. Later on, view the stars and set the world to right. And, of course, EMMA has bicycles and a minivan to chauffeur you to various excursions.
DOMAINE LA VERONIQUE
Peter & Sally are well-known in the barging community as they used to charter their barge, La Tortue. Peter Shaw is an excellent and highly respected chef.
Véronique has three beautiful guests rooms with en-suite bathrooms, and each bedroom can be made up as a king size double bed or as twin beds. The ground-floor bedroom has wheelchair access. There is a comfortable living room (with grand piano, TV, sound system and WIFI internet access), a dining area and an immaculate kitchen.
Outside there is a wonderful swimming pool with beach area for easy access; several sitting areas with views over the countryside; terraces with tables for al fresco dining; and a boulodrome. You can walk straight from the Domaine into the countryside, up in to the hills or down in to the valley. It is the ideal setting for a quiet walk or a relaxing dip in the swimming pool.
Book soon while there is still good availability for this summer, especially since we will have to coordinate the two venues.
REMINDER: Paradise Connections has a special gift for June 2011 bookings. See HERE.
View Emma's online brochure
Visit our website for more info on our barges and barging: www.BargeCharters.com