Thanks to the Irish Hotel Barge SHANNON PRINCESS for sharing this excellent recipe with our readers..
A delicious treat anytime. This is a firm favourite with Guests and Crew alike. It can also be served as Guinness Cupcakes.
- 200 g cream flour
- 250 g unrefined sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 large egg
- 125 g butter
- 150 ml natural yogurt or butter milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 150 ml of Guinness
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F or gas mark 4).
- Prepare your cake tin by lining with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl sieve all the dry ingredients together.
- Then lightly whisk the egg, vanilla and buttermilk (or yogurt) in a jug.
- Next melt the butter, cocoa and the Guinness in a saucepan,
- When it is just melted, stir it smooth making sure there are no lumps.
- Now mix all ingredients together, pour into the prepared tin and bake for approx 45 minutes or when a tester comes out clean.
- Let to stand for 30 minutes before unmolding from its tin.
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with cocoa and serve with softly whipped cream
- Or ice with a chocolate butter cream
If you're not a baker, why not book a trip with Shannon Princess and have it done up right!
Also: Book Hotel Barge Shannon Princess before March 31, 2010 and receive a $1000/cabin discount on 2010 April and May cruises (double occupancy).
View Shannon Princess's online brochure
Visit our website for more info on our barges and barging: www.BargeCharters.com