The Château of Chenonceau is an architectural wonder and Renaissance masterpiece. Built in 1520 by a wealthy tax collector for his wife, it became a royal retreat for, among others, Catherine de Medici and Mary, Queen of Scots.
It is a five-arch bridge which was transformed into a château, with its galerie de bal, the scene of some legendary galas, spanning the River Cher. Inside the château are magnificent ceilings, fireplaces, furnishings, and paintings; many of the walls are covered with the famed Gobelin tapestries.
During WW I the château served as a military hospital. During WW II the château sat on the demarcation line between Vichy-ruled France and the territory held by the Germans, with the line running down the middle of the Cher. The southern exit of the château was in the free zone; its entrance was in the German-occupied zone.
- Route: The Cher River between Moulin de Nitray and Montrichard
- Up to 6 guests
- Charters and Cabin cruises
- Itineraries: Standard classic, Biking/Cycling, Family, Golf, Honeymoon
- Learn More: Online Brochure
We are delighted to offer Nymphea, currently the only hotel barge navigating the heart of the Loire Valley. The Valley of the Kings is as rich in history and legend as it is in beauty – little has changed over the centuries. The River Loire and its main tributary the River Cher have transported passengers and cargo for more than 2000 years.
There is much to discover in the Loire Valley, from the fabulous châteaux to the centuries-old villages dotted along the river. Wind your way through the narrow streets possibly discovering hidden shops with hand-painted pottery or stumble across an open market. Meet a winemaker or a cheese maker and learn why his goat cheese is the most famous in France.
Come celebrate the 500th Anniversary of the Renaissance in Loire Valley aboard the charming Nymphea. In 2019, throughout the entire anniversary year, events, expositions, scientific symposiums, visits, and regional and European-themed courses revive the spirit of the Renaissance while confronting modern challenges, creating a dialogue between the history and the future.
Current Availability for 2019
- June 30 - July 6 : 1 cabin open - 20% discount
- July 7-13 : 1 cabin open - 20% discount
- July 21-27 : 3 cabins open for private charter or cabin week. 20% discount for charter booking
- July 28-Aug 3 : 3 cabins open for private charter or cabin week. 20% discount for charter booking
- Aug 4-10 : 3 cabins open. Available for private charter or cabin cruise week
- Aug 11-17 : 2 cabins open - 20% discount
- Aug 18-24 : 3 cabins open for private charter or cabin week. 20% discount for charter booking
- Aug 25-31 : 3 cabins open for private charter or cabin week. 20% discount for charter booking
- Sept 8-14 : 1 cabin open
- Sept 15-21 : 1 cabin open