I digress... Here's our latest recipe from Shannon Princess
MERLOT & ONION MARMALADEBarging in Ireland. The Irish Hotel Barge SHANNON PRINCESS II, cruises the River Shannon between Athlone and Killaloe. The Shannon Princess accommodates up to 10 guests in 5 cabins all of which have private ensuite bathrooms, and can be configured with either 2 twin beds or a queen. Shannon Princess can be booked by the cabin on a shared cabin cruise week, or for private charter.
We use lots of this onboard.
It is super with goats & sheeps cheeses, artichokes, roast peppers, baked aubergines, any game, or as part of a tapas or nibbles platter. Excellent served hot or cold. It can be refrigerated in jars for at least 2 weeks.
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6 medium Red Onions, thinly sliced
- 350 ml Merlot Wine
- 50 ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 70 grams Sugar
- Seasalt & Coarse Black Pepper
- Splash of Grenadine
- Melt the onions in the olive oil in a deep pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the Merlot, grenadine and vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the liquid by about half, now add the sugar and let simmer.
- The marmalade should have a jammy consistency and be a lovely rich purple colour.
- This might take 20-30 minutes.
- Pack into jars, let cool and store in your fridge.
Learn more about Shannon Princess... View her online brochure!
- October 3-9, 2010: 25% discount for private charter
- June 26 - July 2, 2011: Summer Solstice Guided Walking Tour Cabin Cruise [Read More]
View Shannon Princess's online brochure
Visit our website for more info on our barges and barging: www.BargeCharters.com